-This beautiful dish is a staple in Egyptian cooking. It is some I grew up on. When I was younger, this was our go-to: A carb overloaded treat. My affiliation with good food has always been one of fond memories, endless laughter, and good company. This delicious plate is a play on lasagna on steroids. It's base of pasta, healthy portions of ground meat, layered in a thick, white sauce. One of the many profound memories of my childhood. Now as an adult, I recognize it wasn't exactly the healthiest option but as a sidedish, and some tweaks to the ingredients, and voila: Macarona Beshamel reinvented.
Some alternatives included:
- Subbing the copious amounts of butter with olive oil ( light taste)
- When making the rue, making some lactose-free substutions
- Regular pasta for red lentil pasta
- Substituting out the ground beef for ground turkey ( a healthy but tasty alternative)
* For those going for a vegan route on this dish, you can sub out the meat for a vegan meat ( lifestyle brand has a beautiful faux ground meat alternative, often used for tacos.
Subscribe for the recipe!