-This beautiful dish is a staple in Egyptian cooking. It is some I grew up on. When I was younger, this was our go-to: A carb overloaded treat. My affiliation with good food has always been one of fond memories, endless laughter, and good company. This delicious plate is a play on lasagna on steroids. It's base of pasta, healthy portions of ground meat, layered in a thick, white sauce. One of the many profound memories of my childhood. Now as an adult, I recognize it wasn't exactly the healthiest option but as a sidedish, and some tweaks to the ingredients, and voila: Macarona Beshamel reinvented.
Some alternatives included:
- Subbing the copious amounts of butter with olive oil ( light taste)
- When making the rue, making some lactose-free substutions
- Regular pasta for red lentil pasta
- Substituting out the ground beef for ground turkey ( a healthy but tasty alternative)
* For those going for a vegan route on this dish, you can sub out the meat for a vegan meat ( lifestyle brand has a beautiful faux ground meat alternative, often used for tacos.
Subscribe for the recipe!
Whether be their DELICIOUS apps, entrees or happy hour, Dish never disappoints this foodie. A must try in Houston's hustle and bustle. If you're ever in the area go find a location. Recommendations are listed below:
1. Coffee Crusted Pork Loin ( Photo pending)
2. Avocado Stuffed Quinoa in a Citrus Relish ( my personal favorite) ( Photo pending)
3. Lettuce Wraps ( I sub chicken for the pork, it's amazing)
And more deliciousness for those living that lactose-free lifestyle, or the vegan/vegetarian purists.
They have a few locations here. So far my favorite has been the San Felipe location. Address is below:
5740 San Felipe St #100, Houston, TX 77057
This Pumpkin Bread is something I never knew I needed! Enjoy it with a nice, cold glass of (lactaid) milk, or enjoy with a cup of coffee. It can be a midday pick-me-up or a novelty breakfast item. Email me for the recipe!